6/15/2014

Lazy

Story first then productive things later. Last night I was awake with migraine when I heard a lot of sirens on the other side of the railway line, so I went for a walk (in part because I thought the cold air would be good for my brain, but mostly just curiosity) to the ramp at West Footscray station which provides a reasonable view. The commotion was that a police car had crashed into an old wooden electricity pole. I don't think anyone was hurt but a bird made a sound not unlike a wolf whistle and I got scared and went home immediately

The kitten also ate part of a wooden spoon and I don't know how she did it but the conclusion is that nothing is safe from her, not even things in the sink

Now for something different: I don't know when this happened but there are a lot of old digitised street directories on the SLV website. I had a look at the 1944 Morgan's directory, obviously focusing on My Sunshine North Quarry, which provided some interesting information. The timeline I've so far established from literature suggests a vague date of 1930s/1940s for construction (deconstruction?) but the quarries aren't even on this 1944 map, so I guess they were excavated a lot later than I thought (unless the map wasn't updated but I doubt it, but it is a tad suspect that the 1952 map looks exactly the same i.e quarryless and I am almost certain there was a quarry by that point). 

Also, Norfolk, Lancaster, Warwick, Oxford, Middlesex and Sussex streets (what a theme) don't exist anymore, Nottingham St is now "Winged Foot Drive" (ugh) (I first typed Winged Food which is a better name in my opinion), and weirdly enough Berkshire Road now has an S-curve linking it to Surrey Street which explains why the current road adopts the Surrey name for 100 meters - so I think that change came as a result of the quarry. Esmonde St is now the awkward continuation of Berkshire instead. I also can't tell if the two roads 'crossing' the Maribyrnong River are actually crossing it or just stopping short. Enjoy the pictures below

I guess at this point in time there was no quarry?
Weird 
Lazy Google Maps screenshot for comparative purposes

No comments:

Post a Comment