3/19/2014

Further ruminations

This had a sketch of a house next to it but it's fine sans-house too, 
and also has nothing to do with this post
I didn’t end up doing the research I promised in the last blog entry (sleeping poorly most nights does not bode well for motivation), but I’ve since considered my thesis topic a lot more. I feel as though I should probably expand my scope a little bit - I’m not 100% certain on the direction I’d go with if I keep it specific to quarries - and maybe cover brownfield development in Melbourne’s west (specifically Brimbank?). This would still allow me to talk about quarries, but also the social, environmental and urban processes involved to a greater extent. This issue lies at the intersection of a few urban processes - decline in heavy industry/move towards a tertiary economy, and population growth/urbanisation - which would be pretty intriguing in the context of the existing low SES demographic. 

I’m curious about how existing planning provisions and legislation etc. allow for re-use or remediation of the land (which was one of my questions concerning quarries), same goes for existing noxious land uses. I could maybe have two case studies, one being the Sunshine North quarries and the other being the Huntsman Chemicals site in Brooklyn, or possibly a site which was once a landfill but has now ceased to operate as one (Sunshine Energy Park). 

At least at the moment I'm sure of 3 things: the setting of my thesis (Sunshine/Brimbank), the fact that I will write about quarries, and that I'm curious about how these things affect the population. My thought process doesn't feel very clear at the moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment